Whether you’re grinding out the day in the office, taking the kids to and from camp or laying out by the pool, an extravagant lunch may not be in the cards during the summer months. But that doesn’t mean you should take a trip through the drive-thru or skip the meal entirely – there are lots of ways to squeeze in something light and refreshing. Try these summer lunch recipes the next time you’re strapped for time:
- Sweet Potato Tacos: this is a great meal to prep early on in the week and you eat it for lunch multiple days. Swap out the ground beef or chicken for spicy sweet potatoes and top with black beans, avocado and shredded cheese or crumbled cotija. We recommend fresh corn or soft flour tortillas.
- Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps: this one is low in carbs but packs a heavy flavor punch. Use ground turkey and season it to taste. Then top with a pineapple salsa, fresh cilantro and lime juice.
- Grilled Eggplant with Fresh Tomato Salad: try this one cold or heat it up! Simply grill up a few slices of eggplant and top with fresh tomato salad. The colors alone will be enough to brighten your day.
- Grilled Chicken Pesto Kebabs: looking to up your protein intake and cut carbs this summer? Grilled chicken has always been a go-to and with pesto, it’s even better! Their easy to make, easy to pack and easy to reheat.
- Ricotta-Stuffed Peppers: fire roasted, peeled and ready to serve, jarred peppers might just become your new favorite ingredient when you don’t have time to spare. All you need to do is stuff them with ricotta cheese and top with pesto and pine nuts and you’ve got yourself a fast and delicious lunch for any day of the week.