1. Always choose fruits and vegetables. When it comes time to select snacks, reach for fruits and vegetables instead of cookies and candy. Why? They’re packed with fiber and vitamins, both of which are very important for our bodies!
2. Be conscious about drinks. Packing healthy food isn’t enough – you also need to focus on what you pack to drink. Instead of sugary beverages such as juices and sodas, your best bet is to pack some water.
3. Understand fats. Fats may not be all bad, but they become a problem when you consume too much of them. If fatty foods will be packed, make sure they’re being packed in small portions. Ideally, try to pack low-fat foods (here’s where your fruits and veggies come in!).
4. Aim for whole grains. Whole grains are some of the best grains you can consume as part of a healthy diet. An easy way to start eating whole grains is by making some changes to your bread – for example, if you usually make sandwiches on white bread, try whole-wheat bread instead.
5. Switch things up. Make an effort to switch up meals and snacks all throughout the week. It can be easy to fall into a lunch time routine, but when you switch things up often, your body gets more of a variety of nutrients!
Here at Chip’s Family Restaurant, we understand how important it is for everyone – not just students – to make healthy decisions when it comes to the food that they eat. That’s why our menu features a health and fitness section as well as salads! From chicken caesar salad to fresh fruit, omelets, eggs and more, we offer a ton of healthy options for you to choose from.
To try our healthy meals for yourself, visit us in Fairfield, Orange, Southbury, Trumbull or Wethersfield, Connecticut today!