If you’re following along with tradition, then you might have plans to cook a delicious ham for you and your guests during next week’s Easter dinner. To ensure that it comes out (and of course, tastes) just right, use these tips, courtesy of Bon Appétit along the way.
1. Do your research before buying: They may all look the same, but not all hams produce the same result. So, you’ll want to make sure that the one you buy is worth the cost and your time – the best place to start is by speaking with your butcher.
2. Use liquid when cooking: Your ham isn’t prepped and ready for cooking until some type of liquid has been added to the pan. Bon Appétit recommends cooking with at least 1/2 cup of water, wine or stock. Once you’re ready, cover the ham with some foil to prevent it from getting too dry.
3. Don’t be afraid to use heat: While you certainly won’t want to over-cook your ham, don’t be afraid to expose it to some more heat either! In order to get the glaze bubbling, you may need to experiment with temperatures and turn your oven up to about 450 degrees – just be sure to watch the ham carefully to make sure it doesn’t start to burn.
4. Remember the glaze: Plan to glaze your ham about 15-30 minutes before it’s ready to come out of the oven – this will ensure it tastes as good as it possibly can! But just like we mentioned in tip number 3, you don’t want the glaze to burn so keep a close eye on it after the initial application.
5. Time it right: Since it’s best to let your ham sit for at least 20 minutes before digging in, consider the wait time when letting guests know when they should arrive. If guests get there too early and start to get hungry they may want to eat before it’s really ready to be enjoyed!
Do your plans for Easter Sunday include spending some time in the kitchen cooking a ham? If you have additional tips that you live by to get yours to come out just right, be sure to share them with us on Facebook!
Chip’s Family Restaurant is a restaurant in Fairfield, Orange, Southbury, Trumbull and Wethersfield, and has been serving the local people of Connecticut since 1966. With five locations currently open, there is an opportunity for everyone to experience the menu items that has everyone in the area talking! To learn where you can find a Chip’s near you, please visit the locations tab above.