Healthy Foods For Your Heart
Posted on February 6th, 2015 by Chips Restaurants
Did you know? February is American Heart Month! Although there are plenty of ways that you can work on improving your health, such as exercising regularly, we would like to place our focus on food. According to livestrong.com, your diet plays an important role your heart’s health; making healthy choices when it comes to the food you will consume can seriously make a difference in terms of your risk for a heart attack or other heart diseases.
So which foods should you be eating? Before you walk up and down the aisles wondering which foods will benefit your heart the most, check out this list of heart healthy foods, courtesy of health.com to get ahead of the game:
1. Salmon – If fish is already part of your lunch and dinner menu, be sure to add salmon to the list; it contains omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower your risk for certain heart problems!
2. Oatmeal – Since oatmeal is high in fiber, it has the potential to lower your cholesterol. Furthermore, it is typically made with whole grains! If you’re looking for a healthy way to start your day, oatmeal can be your best bet.
3. Dark Chocolate – Contrary to popular belief, chocolate can actually be good for your heart! Dark chocolate, that is. The next time you reach for a sweet treat, avoid your favorite candy bar and choose a piece of dark chocolate instead.
4. Berries – When fruits end with ‘berry,’ you can be confident that they are especially good for you. Did you know that women (between 25 and 42 years of age) who eat more than three servings of blueberries and strawberries a week can have a 32% lower risk of having a heart attack?
5. Spinach – Greens, greens and more greens. Not only do they contain a lot of fiber, but they are also abundant in vitamins and minerals too!
Now, take a moment to think about the foods you eat every day – are any of the ones listed above a part of your diet? This month, we hope you’ll be extra cautious when choosing your foods to ensure that you’re eating products that aid in improving your heart’s health.
Chip’s Family Restaurant has been one of Connecticut’s leading restaurants since 1966. Did you know that part of our menu is completely dedicated to healthy food products? If you’re committed to eating right but are still looking to enjoy food that doesn’t come from your kitchen, come down to Chip’s Family Restaurant and ask about our health and fitness menu today!