Once again, it is that time of year where everyone and everything is going green! And we’re not talking about the go green initiative that has to do with the Earth and our environment (that will come next month). We’re talking about St. Patrick’s Day! Surely one of the “greenest” days of the year.
If you’re looking to bring a taste of Ireland into your home, we bet Irish Soda Bread is one of the top recipes on your list. Thanks to Betty Crocker, we’ve put together a list of must have ingredients and instructions to help you create this holiday treat should you be interested in bringing a wee bit of the Irish tradition into your home:
– Butter or margarine (3 tablespoons)
– All-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups)
– Sugar (2 tablespoons)
– Baking Soda (1 teaspoon)
– Baking powder (1 teaspoon)
– Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
– Raisins (1/3 cup)
– Buttermilk (3/4 cup)
- – Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- – Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking power and salt in a bowl until it is a crumb like mixture.
- – Pour in raisins (if desired) and buttermilk so that the dough is no longer sticking to the side of the bowl.
- – Remove dough from the bowl and place it on a slightly floured surface. Continue to knead until smooth.
- – Shape dough until it resembles a round figure and place on a cookie sheet.
- – Using a floured knife, cut an ‘X’ into the loaf about 1/2 inch deep.
- – Bake 35-45 minutes.
- – Depending on preference, finish by going over the loaf with butter or margarine once cooking is complete.
For more information about this classic holiday treat, click here.
Did you know? Chip’s Family Restaurant is offering a St. Patrick’s Day lunch and dinner special tomorrow, March 17! To try our corned beef and cabbage, stop by any of our locations!