Grilling season is officially here! With the weather warming up and Memorial Day just around the corner, we wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve already taken out the grill to prepare it for your first barbecue of the season. But just like there are some general safety tips cooks should follow in the kitchen, there are also some safety guidelines you should know if you’ll be standing behind the grill this year. Here’s what the National Fire Protection Association has shared:
- All grills should be located well away from your home and not under any eaves or low branches.
- You should only use propane and charcoal grills outside.
- If you need to head inside for something or just step away for a minute, recruit someone else to look after the grill as it should never be left unattended.
- Always remind children to stay away from the grill and make it inaccessible for pets.
- For charcoal grills, only use charcoal starter fluid and do not add any other flammable liquids to your fire.
- When storing charcoal fluid, find a spot that children can’t reach and make sure it is kept away from heat sources.
- Make sure that coals are completely cooled down after you are done grilling before getting rid of them.
- Before using a propane grill, check the propane tank for leaks. To do so, apply a light soap and water solution to the hose, then turn the tank on. If you see bubbles around the hose, you have a gas leak and should not use the grill until a professional has taken a look.
- If using a propane grill and you smell gas while cooking, turn off the tank and burners immediately and contact a professional for help. Reminder: do not move the grill as you wait for help to arrive.
With May being National Barbecue Month, there is no better time to brush up on grilling safety, so we encourage you to also share these safety tips with your friends and family before they serve their first batch of hotdogs and hamburgers this summer!
Chip’s Family Restaurant is a restaurant in Fairfield, Orange, Southbury, Trumbull and Wethersfield, and has been serving the local people of Connecticut since 1966. With five locations currently open, there is an opportunity for everyone to experience the menu items that has everyone in the area talking! To learn where you can find a Chip’s near you, please visit the locations tab above.