These days it seems like there are life hacks for nearly everything – your home, your health, your relationships, your job – like we said, nearly everything. So, it should be no surprise then that there are also a ton of hacks that can be used in the kitchen!
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, if you like to cook, here are 5 cooking hacks you need to know:
1. Always keep a supply of diced vegetables in the fridge. For those of you who are fans of “meal prepping” on Sunday nights, always start by chopping up some veggies that be used throughout the week. This makes it easier for you to not only plan your lunches, but it also gives you something extra to have with dinner if you’re looking for a quick and easy side one night.
2. Preheat baking sheets. Normally when cooking you preheat the oven and then put your food in when the ideal temperature has been reached, but if you want to reduce your cooking time, you’ll want to try preheating the baking sheet too to get things warmed up. When you do, you may even find that you don’t even have to flip certain foods as they cook!
3. Use apples to keep things soft and moist. When it comes to baked goods, no one enjoys biting into something that has completely dried out. To prevent this, stick an apple slice into the containers with your baked goods after the first go around!
4. Bring stale bread back to life with water. And with the help of your oven, too! If you have a loaf of bread that’s starting to go stale but that you don’t want to waste, you can pour some water over it and bake it in the oven for about 5-10 minutes. Doing so will make it so crunchy and lively once again that you’ll barely know it isn’t fresh!
5. Let eggs sit to make them more peel-able. Anyone who has tried to peel a boiled egg knows that it can be hard and messy, but did you know that if you let eggs sit in your fridge for a bit (even as long as a week), the process can be made much easier? If you plan to boil eggs, find a batch whose expiration date is far off so that you have enough time to let them sit before they spoil!
Interested in learning more? Check out this article from lifehack.org!
Chip’s Family Restaurant is a restaurant in Fairfield, Orange, Southbury, Trumbull and Wethersfield, and has been serving the local people of Connecticut since 1966. With five locations throughout the state of CT, there is an opportunity for everyone to experience the menu items that has everyone in the area talking! To learn where you can find a Chip’s near you, please visit the locations tab above.